If you receive a type of financial aid, when calculating your resources in your budget plan, you should keep in mind that the first financial aid payment may take a few months (at least 3 months - 2 months if you already have a bank account in France). This is why we advise students to anticipate and arrive with a sufficient amount of money to live on campus. To find out more and plan your budget before your arrival on the campus.
You should also pay attention to the academic calendar in relation to your spending and saving. The initial months at l’X are usually the most costly.
We estimate that you will need €800 per month to cover the cost of living on campus.
All students on the Ingénieur Polytechnicien Program are accommodated on campus in individual dorm rooms (18 m², furnished with a bed, a wardrobe and a private bathroom). All rooms have access to Internet. Read more on housing.
- Rent ranges from €200 yo €435 per month (depending on financial support you may receive from the French Government, CAF).
- A deposit of €300 must be paid upon arrival.
All student accommodation buildings include kitchen facilities (called “bars d’étage” in French). On campus, you also have access to a cafeteria and to the student restaurant “Le Magnan”.
- An individual meal typically costs €3-5
- A coffee typically costs €0.50
It is mandatory to take out French health insurance and civil liability insurance, except for EU nationals who hold a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). We also strongly advise you to take out complementary health insurance.
- French health insurance: free
- Cotisation de vie étudiante et de campus (CVEC): €90/year
- Civil liability insurance: €17 per year
- Complementary health insurance: €99 per year
All books and learning materials are given free of charge at École Polytechnique. You should also, however, factor into your budget the costs of complementary study materials (calculator, pens and paper, photocopying, etc.).
The campus is located 20 km south of Paris and is easily accessible by public transport (40 minutes by train).
- A single ticket into Paris: 4,45€
- A single ticket to Paris airport: €11,25
- Monthly subscription: €75
- €20-40 per month depending on your plan (cell phone only or with unlimited Internet access)
Your budget should also take into account clothing (warm winter clothes, sports gear), transport, cell phone and internet costs, according to your own needs and lifestyle.
As for your social life, student-run organizations organize plenty of inexpensive or free activities on campus, so make sure to get more information when you arrive.
Do you now have a better idea of your income and expenses? Then you are ready to create your budget.
You can now download the step-by-step budget guide for your studies at École Polytechnique (Excel spreadsheet) to help you.