Financial support

Very few fellowships are available from École Polytechnique and they are allocated upon request to students with excellent academic backgrounds and/or limited financial means. Students on the Research Program for International Talents are given priority for fellowships. Mobility grants for Erasmus+ students are allocated by their national agencies.

Estimated costs of living on campus

€800 per month is the estimated amount required to cover all major living costs, including accommodation, food, health insurance, study materials and transport. This amount does not include personal expenses, which depend on the requirements of each individual student.


The École polytechnique offers exchange students access to student residences on campus, according to availability. Please note that on-campus accommodation is not guaranteed. The assignment of accommodation is confirmed shortly after admission to the international academic exchange program or the research program for international talents.

Should it not be possible to offer accommodation to all students requesting it, the École polytechnique will provide the necessary information to help students find their own accommodation.

On-campus services

The International Student Support and Services Office (BASIX) at École Polytechnique supports international students who are living in France, assisting them with required administrative formalities such as visas, health insurance and accommodation. Once admitted, each student will receive an email with all information to prepare for arrival on campus.

Health Insurance

All students staying in France for at least 6 months must be affiliated to the French Healthcare System.
Applicants who are EU citizens have to ask for a European Health Insurance Card to the Health Insurance Company of their 2 months before arriving in France.
All students attend a mandatory medical visit with the Doctor of Ecole Polytechnique once on Campus, some documents have to be filled in during the enrollment process.

Liability Insurance

People living in France must be affiliated to the liability insurance (coverage in case of accidents, third-party damage, ..). Students can have an insurance from their home country, or get one upon the arrival on Campus, with the Basix’s  guidance.


Depending on the country, students may need an entry visa or a study permit. Applicants who are not EU citizens require a visa to study in France.

Exchange students are responsible for their own visa applications and for joining us with the right visa. For more information, please contact your local French Consulate.